Monday, June 1, 2009

Update

So today was my first visit with my psychiatrist. Things went really well. I basically told him how I had been feeling. He asked me a bunch of questions about my family, school, life, job, history, etc. He feels that since everything else in my life is going so well that my depression was probably triggered by the stress of my parents' divorce, finishing school, planning a wedding, graduation, getting married, starting a new job, and all that comes along with all that in such a short period of time. He made me feel really good by saying that feeling depressed after going through things like that, or even without any specific trigger is ok and is human and that I have no reason to feel bad about it (which I don't at all, just nice to hear that!).

He started me on 30mg of Cymbalta once a day. I will be on that dosage for two weeks then I go back on June 15th to check in and see if I am feeling any different. He said at that point we may have to adjust the dosage a bit to ensure I am getting maximum relief of my symptoms. He said the plan is for me to be on meds for at least a year. He did mention that if after being on the medicine for a while and feeling more like myself, if I start thinking about things that I would want therapy for, they have a psychologist in their practice and I could meet with here as part of my treatment as well. I'm not sure yet if I will need that too but very impressed to hear that he is all for mixing meds and therapy.

So I am feeling pretty good about things. I know it will take some time and that the meds are not a magic happy pill that fix everything in my life, but I am definitely looking forward to feeling more like myself again!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist B' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP